top of page
Christian Science Louisiana
Is Christian Science Christian?
Yes. The Church of Christ, Scientist – known commonly as the Christian Science Church – understands itself to be a denomination within Christianity. The Bible is the sacred scriptural authority for the Church, and God’s Love is at the core of its teachings. Those who practice Christian Science do their best to live the bold, generous, and compassionate love that Christ Jesus laid out in his Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5–7). This is the heart of its Christianity.
Christian Science is also a Science because it’s based on God as infinite Principle as well as unchanging Love. Christian Science explains the spiritual laws of Love that Jesus relied on to heal sickness and sin. These laws are reliable and can be proven. People are doing the same kind of healing today as they learn more about what God really is.
What do Christian Scientists believe?
Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, outlined a few brief tenets—or important points—in her textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure. (Science and Health, pp. 497:3–27)
What is a Christian Science lecture?
Public talks are available in-person and online from a diverse group of speakers from a variety of countries and backgrounds. Click here for some online lectures.
Who are Christian Science practitioners?
They are men and women around the world who will pray with you to feel Divine Love’s presence in your life. Click here for more information about the work they do and for a list of practitioners.
Does the Christian Science Church participate in Ecumenical Affairs?
Yes, the Christian Science Church understands itself to be part of the "Circle of Faith." This paper prepared by the church headquarters briefly summarizes much of the history and theology of Christian Science.
bottom of page